Stay tuned for part 2 focus on Asset and Application Inventory. Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog.
Migrating infrastructure to a third-party colocation data center can be an overwhelming process. Over the last decade at ColoHouse, we have learned a few things about client installations and setups.
Once a new site for your data center has been selected, use this checklist to help plan a successful transition—before, during, and after your migration.
Select the right IT Infrastructure
Just like a house that needs a strong foundation, an IT environment needs the right infrastructure in place to meet the ever-growing, ever-changing business (and technology) landscape. With several server options to choose from, it can be an intimidating task to choose the best server solution for your business.
First ask yourself the following questions: What problem do you want to solve? How is your IT infrastructure going to be used? Are you planning for a short-term or a long-term project?
- Will you need file sharing or data backup?
- What applications are you planning to run on the server?
- Do you want control of your hardware?
- What is your budget?
- How many users will each application need to serve, now and in the near future?
- Do you need it to be flexible and scalable?
- Will you need additional services?
When determining which applications are best suited for you, it’s important to keep in mind what requirements and security measures you need in order to create the most effective and efficient IT infrastructure for your business. Here are some resources to help you decide what you might need:
- Infographic: Colocation vs. Cloud
- Infographic: Colocation vs. Dedicated Servers
- Blog: How Do You Know Which IT Infrastructure Is Right for You?
Stay tuned for part 2 — and get notified when the next blog in this series is available, simply by signing up for our blog or by following us on LinkedIn. Click here to download the ColoHouse Data Center Migration Checklist.
Is it Time for Your Data Center Migration?
If you would like ColoHouse to help you assess your IT infrastructure or receive a free consultation from our team of experts, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org